Saturday, August 22, 2009

Conclusion

The summer is over, it seems. I've been home for weeks. The NBI course is over.

After finishing the Community Design/Build class, I was done with all my Yestermorrow responsibilities. I hung around for a few days so I could have some last minute fun with my intern and NBI friends, and then headed off on a multi-day Amtrak ride.

It was hard to leave. I had grown so attached to the place and people. I loved the balance of work and play. The whole place seemed healthy and I was always happy. I learned a lot about tools, design and construction over the summer, gained a lot of great contacts for future opportunities, and made great friends who I hope to see again.

Since I've been home, I've been talking about Yestermorrow nonstop. I miss waking up early in the morning to do a morning chore routine. I miss having communal breakfast, lunch and dinner. I miss morning meetings, identifying tasks that need to be done and having the means to do them. There was a sense of belonging and purpose that I haven't experienced to that extent anywhere else.

If there is one word to summarize how I feel about Yestermorrow now, I would have to say "grateful." I am so thankful to my school for funding me this summer, the Yestermorrow staff for allowing me to come be a "mystic," and the interns for accepting me as one of them and teaching me a plethora of skills. I cannot vocalize how much this summer has positively affected me, but I do recognize it and am grateful.

It's been an amazing summer. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment